Starting December 21, 2022 in U.S. theaters with Sony Pictures Entertainment I want to dance with someonethe life and career of singer Whitney Houston, played by actress Naomi Ackie, recounted in a Houston heirs-approved biopic that chronicles the journey of one of the most beautiful and powerful voices of all time , from a New Jersey backing vocalist to one of the best-selling, award-winning recording artists of all time.
Plot and Cast
The official plot: “I Wanna Dance with Somebody” is a powerful and triumphant celebration of the incomparable Whitney Houston. Directed by Kasi Lemmons, written by Oscar nominee Anthony McCarten, produced by legendary music director Clive Davis and starring BAFTA Award winner Naomi Ackie, the film is a boundless portrait of the complex and multi-faceted woman behind The Voice. From New Jersey backup singer to one of the best-selling and award-winning recording artists of all time, audiences are taken on an inspiring, heartwarming and thrilling journey through Houston’s life and pioneering career, with performances at breathtaking and an icon soundtrack. the most beloved hits like you’ve never heard them before. You don’t want to dance?
The cast of also includes Stanley Tucci (Clive Davis), Ashton Sanders (Bobby Brown), Tamara Tunie (Cissy Houston), Nafessa Williams (Robyn Crawford), Clarke Peters (John Houston), Daniel Washington (Gary Houston), Bria Danielle Singleton (Bobbi Kristina), Kris Sidberry (Pat Houston), Jaison Hunter (Germaine Jackson) and JaQuan Malik Jones (Michael Houston).
- The film’s title “I Wanna Dance With Somebody” is inspired by one of the singer’s best-known hits, the second single from the 1987 album “Whitney.”
- “I Wanna Dance With Somebody” is directed by Kasi Lemmons (Eve’s Bay, Talk to Me, Harriet) from an Oscar-nominated screenplay by Anthony McCarten for Bohemian Rhapsody, the hit biopic about Freddy Mercury and Queen. McCarten’s credits also include four Oscar nominations for The two popes (best non-original screenplay), The theory of everything (Best Film as Producer and Best Non-Original Screenplay) e The darkest hour (best film as a producer). Mcarten is currently writing the thriller Headquarters by Justin Kurzel (Assassin’s Creed), a true story that tells the story of a team of armed Pakistani militants who stage a terrorist attack on the Taj Mahal Palace Hotel in India. McCarten is also developing a musical biopic about the Bee Gees and writing a Broadway musical about the life and career of singer Neil Diamond.
- Naomi Ackie played Jannah in Star Wars: The Rise of SkywalkeKing Alicia in the TV series master of nothingin the cinema he also played in the crime criminal empire (2019) with Sam Caflin and The score (2021) with Will Poulter. We’ll soon see Ackie in Zoë Kravitz’s first film cat islandalongside Channing Tatum, and in Mickey7 by Bong Joon-ho, based on the science fiction novel by Edward Ashton, starring Robert Pattinson, Toni Collette and Mark Ruffalo.
- Whitney Houston’s heirs have licensed the biopic ‘I Wanna Dance With Somebody’ to use the singer’s entire catalog of songs, but unlike what has been heard in recent biopics about Freddy Mercury and Elton John , in which the voices of the protagonists were involved in the recording of the songs, it has already been announced that Naomi Ackie will not be involved from a voice point of view and that all the songs will be performed by Whitney Houston.
- The film is co-produced by The Whitney Houston Estate, Primary Wave, Clive Davis, one of the singer’s producers, Anthony McCarten, Pat Houston, Larry Mestel, Denis O’Sullivan, Jeff Kalligheri, Matt Jackson, Molly Smith, Trent Luckinbill, Thad Luckinbill, Matt Salloway and Christina Papagjika. Naomi Ackie is among the film’s executive producers.
I want to dance with someone – trailer and video
Whitney Houston – biographical notes
Whitney Houston has been certified as the most awarded female artist of all time by Guinness World Records and one of the best-selling singers of all time, with sales of over 200 million records worldwide. Houston has released seven studio albums and two soundtrack albums, all certified diamond, multiplatinum, platinum or gold. She is considered one of the greatest artists of all time. His charismatic presence in the pop music charts as well as his visibility on MTV influenced several African-American artists. In 2020, she was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, a recognition that came eight years after the singer was found dead in a hotel room in Beverly Hills. He was 48 at the time of his death. Drug and alcohol problems and a rocky marriage to fellow musician Bobby Brown marked the latter part of her career. Houston also ventured as an actress making her debut in Bodyguard in 1992 against Kevin Costner, the film became a classic and the score played by Houston herself became the best-selling soundtrack of all time. Houston also appeared in the choir Women – Waiting to expire the big screen debut of actor Forest Whitaker, in A look from the skyremake of the 1947 film The bishop’s wife with Denzel Washington and in the remake Sparkle – The Light of Success published posthumously. Houston’s producer credits include Pretty princess, A song for the Cheetah Girls, Prince Charming Wanted And Cheetah Girls 2.
- Over 190 million copies sold, including albums and singles
- 46 weeks at number 1 on the best-selling album chart
- 6 Grammy Awards
- 2 Emmy Awards
- 31 Billboard Music Awards
- 22 American Music Awards
- Three albums simultaneously in the Top Ten of the Billboard 200 for two consecutive weeks.
- Among other records, she also holds the No. 1 spot on the list of most successful artists of color with Michael Jackson, and in 2006 the Guinness Book of World Records declared her “the most awarded and famous artist of all the time”.
Photos and posters