After the out-of-competition leg of Venice 79, from September 22 in Italian cinemas with Warner Bros. Pictures don’t worry darlingg, second achievement for actress Olivia Wilde after the comedy Revenge of the Losers”. The film follows an unhappy 1950s housewife (Florence Pugh) who lives in a utopian experimental desert community where she uncovers a disturbing truth, while her loving husband (Harry Styles) hides a dark secret.
Plot and Cast
The official plot: Alice (Florence Pugh Oscar-nominated for ‘Little Women’) and Jack (Harry Styles, Dinkirk) are lucky enough to live in the idealized community of Victory, the town created by an experimental society that takes in working men and their families. on the top-secret Victory project. The social optimism of the 1950s championed by their CEO, Frank (Chris Pine, The Dinner of Spies) – halfway between a visionary businessman and a motivational life coach – fixes every aspect of the daily life of this utopian place in the middle of the desert. While the husbands spend each day at Victory Project headquarters working on “innovative materials development,” their wives, including Frank’s stylish partner Shelley (Gemma Chan, Craxy & Rich), spend time enjoying beauty, luxury and debauchery of their community. Life is perfect and every need of the residents is met by the company. All that is asked in return is discretion and unconditional commitment to the cause of the Victory project. But when cracks start to appear in their idyllic life that reveal something sinister beneath the attractive facade, Alice can’t help but wonder exactly what they’re doing to Victory and why. How much will Alice be willing to lose to bring out what’s really going on in this paradise?
The film also stars Wilde herself (the upcoming “Babylon”), KiKi Layne (“The Old Guard”), Nick Kroll (“How It Ends”), Sydney Chandler (“Pistol”), Kate Berlant (” C ‘once upon a time… in Hollywood”), Asif Ali (“WandaVision”), Douglas Smith (“Big Little Lies”), Timothy Simons (“Veep – Incompetent Vice President”) and Ari’el Stachel (the next “Respect the Jux”).
Don’t Worry Darling – trailer and video
First official Italian trailer released on May 2, 2022
Second official Italian trailer released on July 21, 2022
- Olivia Wilde directed the film from a script written by its “Revenge of the Losers” writer Katie Silberman, based on a story by Carey Van Dyke and Shane Van Dyke (“Chernobyl Diaries”) and Silberman.
- Olivia Wilde originally wanted to play the lead role, but decided to cast Florence Pugh after seeing her in Midsommar – The Village of the Damned (2019).
- Wilde’s team behind the scenes consists of two-time Oscar-nominated cinematographer Matthew Libatique (“A Star Is Born,” “The Black Swan”), production designer Katie Byron (“Revenge of the Losers” ), editor Affonso Gonçalves (“The Dark Daughter”), Oscar-nominated composer John Powell (“Jason Bourne”), music supervisor Randall Poster (“No Time to Die”) and costume designer Arianne Phillips (“Once upon a time… in Hollywood”).
- KiKi Layne replaced Dakota Johnson, who retired due to scheduling conflicts with her film The black girl (2021), which was filming at the same time.
- Shia Lebeouf was originally cast as Harry Styles in the film but was replaced. Olivia Wilde said the reason was that she made filming difficult and they didn’t want him on set. Lebeouf later revealed videos in which Wilde asked Shia to return to the film, saying that Florence Pugh should “behave like an adult”. After the leaked videos, Pugh declined to participate in promoting the film.
- The film was shot from October 2020 to February 2021, during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- When unveiling the trailer to the public at CinemaCon in April 2022, Olivia Wilde was given legal documents by a bailiff from her ex-boyfriend Jason Sudeikis. Sudeikis later on the incident said he had no idea the delivery would take place this way, adding that he would never allow the delivery to take place “in such an inappropriate way”.
- This will be the second collaboration between Chris Pine and Florence Pugh after Outlaw King – The Outlaw King (2018).
- Gemma Chan and Harry Styles previously worked in Eternals (2021), Chan was also in Captain Marvel (2019). Florence Pugh also appeared in both MCU and the film Black Widow than in the tv series Hawk Eye.
- Both Florence Pugh and Harry Styles starred in a Christopher Nolan film, Pugh is in Oppenheimer (2023) and Styles is in Dunkirk (2017).
- The film is produced by Olivia Wilde, Katie Silberman, Miri Yoon and Roy Lee, while Richard Brener, Celia Khong, Alex G. Scott, Catherine Hardwicke, Carey Van Dyke and Shane Van Dyke serve as executive producers.
Photos and videos of Venice 79
This film is my love letter to this cinema which transcends the boundaries of our imagination. It’s ambitious, but I think we’ve achieved something very special. Imagine a life where you have everything you want. Not just the material or tangible things like a nice house, nice cars, delicious food and endless parties, but also the things that really matter: true love with the perfect partner, best friends and a life with a meaningful goal. What would make you give up all that? What would you sacrifice to do the right thing? Would you be willing to dismantle the system that was designed for you? This is the world and the question of Don’t Worry Darling. [Olivia Wilde]
- The original music of the film is by the composer John Powellspecialist in animated films and Oscar nominee for the soundtrack of How to train your dragon. Powell’s other credits include Solo: A Star Wars Story, Jason Bourne, Fair Game – Spy Hunt, green zone, United 93, Hancock.
- To post is the music supervisor, his credits include the aviator, Zodiac, A nanny’s diary, the wolf of Wall Street, celestial fall, Divergent, The Walking Dead, streets of evil, The Irishman.
Photos and posters