After stopping in Venice 79, competing in the Official Selection of the Festival, in 2023 the drama will arrive in Italian cinemas with Universal Pictures TARdirector Todd Field’s last feature film who returns behind the camera 6 years ago Small children. Field leads two-time Oscar winner Cate Blanchett as a talented and legendary conductor, pioneering in establishing herself at the helm of a historic philharmonic orchestra.
Plot and Cast
The official plot: TÁR, set in the international world of classical music, centers on Lydia Tár (Cate Blanchett), considered one of the greatest living composers/conductors and the first woman to conduct a major German orchestra.
The cast also includes Mark Strong, Nina Hoss, Noémie Merlant, Sophie Kauer, Julian Glover, Allan Corduner, Sylvia Flote, Sydney Lemmon, Vincent Riotta, Sam Douglas, Allan Corduner, Lucie Pohl, Vivian Full, Murali Perumal, Amanda Blake, Lee R. Sellars, Ed White, Christoph Tomanek, Kenneth Won, Lydia Schamschula, Jessica Hansen, André Röhner, Frank Röth and Diana Birenyte.
TÁR – trailers and videos
- Actor and director Todd Field is making his fourth feature film in 21 years with three Oscar nominations, including two for his first drama In the bedroom 2001 (Best Picture and Best Non-Original Screenplay) and one for Best Non-Original Screenplay of “Little Children”.
- Director Todd Field’s acting credits include roles in Radio Days (1986) by Woody Allen, Ruby in paradise (1993) with Ashley Judd, theEyes wide closed (1999) by Stanley Kubrick and the Supernatural Thriller Haunting – Frequentation (1999) with Liam Neeson, Catherine Zeta-Jones and Owen Wilson.
- The character of Tár is fictional, but she seems to be inspired by Eva Brunelli, who was the first woman to conduct at the Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra in 1923.
- After stopping at the Venice Film Festival 2022 (Golden Lion in competition for Best Film and in competition for the Lion Queer) the film will be screened at the New York Film Festival.
- The film features two actors who have previously been cast as villains in the Indiana Jones franchise. Cate Blanchett played Colonel Irina Spalko in Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (2008) and Julian Glover played Walter Donovan in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (1989).
- The film is produced by director Todd Field with Scott Lambert, Sebastian Fahr-Brix, Alexandra Milchan and Martin Salgo. Cate Blanchett and Nigel Wooll are executive producers.
The screenplay was written for an artist: Cate Blanchett. If he had refused, the film would never have seen the light of day. Cinephiles, fans and the general public will not be surprised. After all, Blanchett is an absolute master. While we were shooting the movie, Cate’s superhuman skills and verisimilitude were something truly jaw-dropping to behold. It had a positive effect on everyone. The privilege of collaborating with an artist of this caliber is something impossible to adequately describe. In every way, this is Cate’s movie. [Todd Field]
- The original music of the film is by the Icelandic composer Hildur Guðnadottir, Academy Award, Golden Globe and BAFTA Award for the soundtrack of Joker. Guðnadóttir’s other credits include The Oath, Soldado, Maria Magdalena and the TV miniseries Chernobyl.
Photos and posters