On February 3, 2023, it will debut in cinemas knock on the booththe new film from director M. Night Shyamalan who returns behind the camera after directing olda 2021 thriller based on the graphic novel “Sandcastle” by Pierre Oscar Levy and Frederik Peeters that grossed $90 million worldwide on an $18 million budget.
Plot and Cast
The official plot: During a vacation in an isolated cabin, a young girl and her parents are taken hostage by four armed strangers who ask the family to make an unthinkable choice to avoid the apocalypse. With limited access to the outside world, the family must decide what they believe in before all is lost.
“Knock at the Cabin” stars Dave Bautista (Dune franchise, Guardians of the Galaxy), Jonathan Groff (Hamilton, Mindhunter), Ben Aldridge (Pennyworth, Fleabag), BAFTA nominee Nikki Amuka – Bird (Persuasion, Old) , newcomer Kristen Cui, Abby Quinn (Little Women, Landline) and Rupert Grint (Servant, Harry Potter saga).
Knock at the Cabin – trailer and video
First official original language trailer released on September 22, 2022
- The film is written and directed by M. Night Shyamalan for Universal Pictures. The long collaboration between the studio and Shyamalan continues after Old, Glass, Split and The Visit.
- Shyamalan revealed that “Knock at the Cabin” was the fastest script he had ever written (beating Signs) and that his third version of the script was whittled down to around 100 pages.
- Shyamalan will also produce with Ashwin Rajan under production company Blinding Edge Pictures alongside Marc Bienstock and Steven Schneider.
- Nikki Amuka-Bird and Jonathan Groff previously worked on a Wachowski sisters film, Amuka-Bird was in Jupiter – The Fate of the Universe (2015) and Groff was in Matrix Resurrections (2021).
- Shyamalan had planned to collaborate again with The Sixth Sense, Unbreakable and Glass star Bruce Willis on a screenplay called Labor of Love which the director has been developing since 2014, but Willis recently retired due to an aphasia diagnosis. . Following the announcement, Shyamalan shared his support for Willis saying, “He will always be that hero on that poster on my wall when he was a kid.”
- Shyamalan is also producing a new thriller titled The Vanishings at Caddo Lake, directed by Celine Held and Logan George (Topside) and starring Dylan O’Brien (Maze Runner). The plot revolves around an 8-year-old girl who mysteriously disappears on Caddo Lake, when a series of past deaths and disappearances begin to intertwine, forever undermining the history of a broken family.
Interviews and statements
After filming wrapped last month, writer Paul Tremblay in an interview with CNBC confirmed the connection between Shyamalan’s “Knock At The Cabin” and his novel “The Cabin at the End of the World.” world). Shyamalan was originally slated to produce the adaptation of Tremblay’s book, but later decided to write and direct the project himself.
I signed an option with FilmNation at the end of 2017. The production team then went in search of a director and other talents to recruit. While another director was briefly assigned, I had heard that Night had read the script and was interested in producing it. When that didn’t work out with the first director, Night still had an interest in production, which later made him want to rewrite the script and even direct. Honestly, I spent part of my spring 2022 suppressing internet rumors and putting out the fires on Twitter that linked the book and the movie. There came a time in early June when that became impossible, however, with all the information available, including the IMDb page. I did my part to respect the wishes of the film’s marketing and I certainly wouldn’t think of spoiling anything. Like most adaptations, there will be story changes and differences from the book, so my readers will always be surprised by the film.
The original book
Paul G. Tremblay has won the Bram Stoker, British Fantasy and Massachusetts Book Awards and is the author of Survivor Song, The House at the End of the World, Disappearance at Devil’s Rock, In the Darkness of the Mind, detective novels The Little Sleep and No Sleep Till Wonderland and the Growing Things and Other Stories collection. His essays and short novels have appeared in the Los Angeles Times, New York Times, Entertainment Weekly online, and in numerous anthologies with the best stories of the year. He has a master’s degree in math and lives outside of Boston with his family.
The official synopsis of the novel: Eric, Andrew and their beloved seven-year-old daughter Wen vacation in a secluded cabin in the New Hampshire woods by a lake, far from the hustle and bustle of metropolitan life, with no internet or phones laptops: a corner of paradise where silence and serenity reign. But one sunny morning, the dream turns into a nightmare when four strangers come out of the woods. Leonard, a giant man with benevolent manners and a warm smile, and his three companions wield creepy and creepy weapons and are there to deliver an even more disturbing and chilling message to Eric, Andrew and Wen. As the little family barricades themselves in the house looking for a way to seek help, it becomes increasingly clear that the four won’t leave until they realize what they’re doing. are there, an impossible choice, a terrible sacrifice. In the hours that follow, in a crescendo of apocalyptic omens, paranoia, madness, horror and bloody rituals, the little house at the end of the world becomes the heart of the universe, the place where the fate of a family and, perhaps, of all humanity.
Paul Tremblay’s novel La Maison du bout du monde is available on Amazon.
First day. First scene. Fifteenth movie! Knock at the cabin #knockatthecabin
New photos of the shoot published on June 12, 2022
This week ended with such complex renditions of #knockatthecabin. Very dark and moving film. One take shook me so much that I had to leave to recover. Hope you feel the same when you see it.
Using 90s lenses to get the old school thriller look #KnockAtTheCabin
Knock at the cabin one and a half hours. We shoot on film and have just shot our 200th reel.
I’ve earned a spot on the wall, just finished filming #knockatthecabin with the most heartfelt love for the cast and crew. It really changed me as a person and as an artist. #risk it all every time
New photos of the shoot published on July 18, 2022
This is a photo my daughter @ishy_night took of me on the set of #knockatthecabin The lab misdeveloped the film. We both loved how the photos turned out. I remember feeling very grateful right now on set. I couldn’t have asked for a more inspiring experience. I can’t wait for you all to see it.
For those just starting out, improving a line in a scene, because that’s all that matters, and ultimately that’s all I’m still trying to do.